Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Expressions of Interest: Scott Buwalda - "Sound Quality Fundamentals & Advanced Techniques"

82 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

From the MEA article: http://www.mobileele...e_day_workshop/

I'm quite excited to announce that Scott Buwalda and I have been discussing the potential to finally bring him out to conduct an intensive one day workshop on "Sound Quality Fundamentals & Advanced Techniques".

For those that don't know, Scott has achieved the highest ever score achieved in IASCA competition, worldwide, as well as since launching one of the worlds most successful brands of car audio speakers in sound quality competition, Hybrid Audio Technologies. Scott has a wealth of information to share, and has conducted many of these workshops around the world with great success.

Scott's award winning car, Black Betty was also featured on MEA last year: http://www.mobileele...dies_gentlemen/

We are currently seeking expressions of interest, for a one day only (January 3rd, 2012 in Melbourne) workshop. Due to logistics and time constraints we will not be able to offer this in other locations so if you are from another state it would be worthwhile to grab a cheap flight and come along. We can certainly assist in discovering cheap accomodation options nearby the venue for those needing to travel.

The outline of the course is as follows:

First session (1.5 - 2 hours)

• Seminar introduction
  • Audience introductions
  • Review of course objectives
  • Sound: "Fundamentals" Discussion - an introductory discussion of sound that will be used later on to reference and tie everything together. This is, in essence, the practical theories of sound and is important in understanding how we hear, and therefore how to properly set up a sound system.
  • Sound & Phasing: Discussion of phase.
  • S
    ound Pressure Level: Discussion of measurement, where human hearing can readily detect differences, power, compression, distance, etc.
  • The Human Auditory System: Discussion of the human ear as a transducer, frequency spectrum of human hearing, dynamic range, hearing threshold, automatic gain control, temporal synchronization, accuracy.
  • Ear Structure – Outer Ear: Signal processing and directional cues.
  • Ear Structure – Middle Ear: Conversion of acoustic energy into electrochemical impulses and impedance transformation.
  • Ear Structure – Inner Ear: Pressure waves and wave propagation, the basilar membrane, corti and stereocilia, basilar membrane frequency tuning, discussion of cochlea acting as a "spectrum analyzer", etc.
  • How We Perceive Sound: Localization, arrival time, amplitude, acoustic shadow, acoustic precedence effect, etc.

Second session (About 1 hour)

• Application: This is the transition from theory into application. Discussion of arrival times, sound frequencies, localization (including the lack of the ability to localize low frequency information), wavelength as it applies to inside a car, pure tones and non-pure tones, sensitivity to various frequencies, etc.

LUNCH (provided)

Third Session (About 5 - 6 hours with a break half-way through)

This is the application of the morning sessions

• Imaging
  • Staging
  • Tonal Accuracy
  • Awesome Sound Quality
  • Bass in Front or Bass in Back?
  • Electrical Verses Mechanical
  • Electrical Problems
  • Mechanical Problems
  • Problems and Solutions
  • Phasing
  • Level Setting
  • Crossovers
  • Equalization
  • Power Supply
  • Q&A
    (we will stay until every question has been addressed and hopefully answered)

The conference is very interactive. The first session is technical and Scott speaking almost exclusively. The second and third sessions will be application, hands-on training, listening evaluations, and attendees are encouraged to participate. A few small laboratory exercises will also be performed, which is fun for everyone to get involved with.

The cost at this stage is $250.00 per head for the entire day, with lunch provided. Numbers will be limited, so expressions of interest are necessary now.

A 50% deposit will be required by ~ July - August this year, with the balance payable within (7) days of the conference itself.

If we receive enough interest, then this will go ahead and we will provide more information, details and specifics and start accepting deposits. If for any reason the conference does not go ahead, all monies paid will be returned.

Genuine Expressions of Interest should be posted to this thread. :)

Interested People so far: 39

Posted · Report post

Put me down.

Sounds awesome :)

Posted · Report post

Yup!

I'm down for that.

Posted · Report post

At that price, put me down too!

Posted · Report post

I am certainly very interested, but will be dependent on agreement from the wife :)

Posted · Report post

I express interest. :good:

Posted (edited) · Report post

most definitely interested!!!

Just showed Tess... she's keen too, so I'll confirm that both of us are definitely interested!!! :D

Edited by Damo95

Posted · Report post

Count me i like the idea.

Wazza

Posted · Report post

Interested! :)

Posted · Report post

Keen, lock me in.

Posted · Report post

Lock me in too eddie.

Very keen. What's the min and max numbers for this?

Ant

Posted · Report post

I'm in for sure. :good:

Posted · Report post

Lock me in too eddie.

Very keen. What's the min and max numbers for this?

Ant

To make it viable, and keep the costs down at the same time, minimum is likely 25 - absolute max 35.

Posted · Report post

Ant, was about to SMS you about this. Glad you're keen too, we can go down together. :D

Posted · Report post

... Glad you're keen too, we can go down together. biggrin.gif

Quote for context!

Posted · Report post

Quote for context!

Trust you to pick up on that Clint! :P I meant take one car, as opposed to two, if we dont happen to get flights or whatever!

Posted · Report post

Spread the word guys, and let others know that you think would be interested in this. Of course, it's open to industry members and enthusiasts alike.

Posted · Report post

The missus and little one will probably be in tow. You can come with the family. I think we have another baby seat for the back.

Ant

Posted · Report post

The missus and little one will probably be in tow. You can come with the family. I think we have another baby seat for the back.

Ant

Har Har Ant! :lol:

Posted · Report post

Sounds like a great idea Marc, count me in too.

Posted · Report post

yes depending on work commitments..........

Posted · Report post

yep i'm in , Any ideas on where it might be held??

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mr Marc, lock the 4 Phatt boys in, and if u make up a flyer, we will stick it up in our shop cause im sure a lot of our customers would luv 2 come :)

Edited by phatt

Posted · Report post

Count me in too!

... and what Phatt said about a flyer (except I want a bigger one than them :P)

Mark

Posted · Report post

I'll give you half a flyer each, so you must work together to get the message out :)