Welcome to Road & Beyond

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

[NSW] CAASQ Round 1 - Reflections

124 posts in this topic

Well i had a stellar day. weather was great and the drive was nice and easy. I'd like to thank marty and the judges for doing a great job. and to those who cooked and supplied the sausages they were great. also to the sponsors of CAASQ. well done and congratulations to all the winners and competitors. it was a great turnout. good to put more faces to usernames :P and listen to quite a few cars. competition was quite close in Amatuer Street, with about 5-6cars/utes all with in a few points of each other.

Edited by POI.ZNR

Was a great day

Lots seen, lots heard and certainly lots learnt!

Looking forward to going next round, however i think i might make a step up a class.

Was great to put some usernames to faces like jono said. Looking forward to penciling it in on the calender!

A huge turnout, glad to see so many put in the effort to come along and make this an event. Also great to meet so CAA people.. all a bunch of top people :)

For a while now i've been telling people that my car is still a work in progress, and not to be intimidated by it (yet!). Today I officially unveiled why...my car has no mid-bass drivers.

Even before I had the kicks in we all knew there was no way that a 4" mid and a tweeter would form a winning combination in CAASQ, and at the start actually had no intention of entering. I would have come along purely as a spectator. Once it was all in though, it did a better job then we expected and so we decided to enter the car just for fun... and to see how many people would pick that it was the mids doing all the work. :)

In the end, I was happy to be able to give people a rough taste of how the Rainbows sound. It's been a hell of a challenge to try to get the thing tuned, and I was happy to see that even with the cars weaknesses, it still managed to perform on a competitive level.

I had a great time and was definately glad that I took the time out to come along - even if only to meet some people. That is the day was great until near the end, when my newly found sunburn started to reveal itself.

Big congratulations to Anthony, I didn't hear the car on the day, but the last time I did it sounded excellent. Apparently it was in even shape today, so I've no doubts it must have sounded extremely good.

Futher congrats to all others who won awards on the day, and a big thanks to everyone who showed up and supported the event. For those who did hear my car, I hope you did enjoyed it for what it was :)

I'll try to have some mid-bass drivers in there in time for the next event, but I don't know if it'll happen. As a final uni year student my studies come first, and will take overall priority.

Finally, a big thanks out to Marty and crew for putting in all of the time and money involved in getting CAASQ NSW off it's feet - it's much appreciated.

Edited by muzzy66

thanks everyone, was a brilliant day, thanks Marty, all the guys, for putting on a great day...

Well done Ant, and Jono on your results :good:

Am Street is going to be very feircly contended thids year, and itll be great!!

pics up soon

what an awesome day!

first off, MASSIVE shout out to Marty, the Fhrx crew, the judges, and everyone behind the scenes who worked so hard to get CAASQ NSW up and running. BIG thanks to the people who cooked that great BBQ to keep us full! :good: all your efforts are much appreciated amongst all the competitors and spectators. thank you.

secondly, congratulations to Antony, Daniel, and Jono for the 1-2-3 placings in Amatuer Street! :good: top effort guys. Antonys car is sweeeeet as. loved it. was pleasantly suprised by the bostons, as ive heard they have a reputation for a fairly harsh tweeter. however it wasnt evident at all. top stuff. didnt get a chance to listen to Daniels car :( i went and listened to Pauls lancer, then Daniels car was gone shortly after. next time for sure! Jonos car. well, what can i say, it sounded great, top effort mate to achieve what you (we) did in 1.5 weeks. amps in, pods in, make and install custom FG box, and get the HU in, and tune it all. top effort guys! :good:

thirdly, congratulations to the rest of the competitors in the other classes for their top efforts and niiiiiiiiice sounding (and looking) cars/installs! there were still a few i didnt get to listen to, but i needed to save some for next time. mainly the red subaru (peter?), mazda 3 (paul?), the maroon sirion (jack), green VS (jack) and the team loud and clear ute. (apologies if the names dont match the cars)

fourthly, it was great to put some name of the CAA names/nicks to faces. pleasure meeting all of you and talking audio! :D it was a good relief after an hour long uni exam. cheers all. looking forward to it next time aswell! :D

pics are coming very shortly. there are a fair few of them, so itll be a looooooong post...

check back soon ;)

cheers

- mad89

I would also like to add my thanks to Marty and all the FHRX crew and the judges especially. It was a top-notch day that will keep me going to every caasq round from now on as this was my first and it was great. Also thanks for the awesome BBQ, really hit the spot.

Listened to some awesome cars today and they sounded great. Have been waiting to hear ricks for some time and it didn't disappoint, but i know it will be getting better and can't wait to hear more. Nathan's car was awesome too, especially being the old school muscle, it was great for being finished the night before. top effort mate and your encouragement award is justly deserved. Still want to listen to matt's and jono's (congrates on the third mate) cars but will have to wait for next time (or maybe at a test and tune day if we can organise one before next round), plus alot of other's, deftones and also Pete's when he gets those midbass drivers in. It will sound great with the extra down low fill.

There were alot of cars there today which was good to see and i only hope it gets bigger and better and more competitive.

Can't wait for next round.

Antony

im up for a test/tune/pissup/whatever :P

oh, and did you get your chairs back Ant??

Since this is reflections, I've decided to provide my own little personal award ceremony:

1 - 'Freak' award:

For: Car that gave me the biggest shock of the day

Goes to: Deftone2k

The first car I listened to on the day was this are. After hearing it all that was on my mind was "if all of the amateur cars are this good, I''m glad I didn't go into Pro".

For a car with such a nice simple setup, it was definately my biggest "Where the hell did that come from" car of the day, and I was surprised to not see it take a top 3 finish. Just shows how competitive the class was.

Full credit to the people responsible for the install. It's a hell of alot of good sound for such a simple system.

2 - 'Pete's Pick' award:

For: Car that was the most pleasant to listen to

Goes to: Paul (Hype-STi)

I didn't get to hear all cars on the day, but to me the most pleasant car to listen to overall was Paul's Lancer. It's a system that is detailed, refined, and beautifully ballanced. An absolutely massive leap over the last time I heard it and one of the better cars i've heard in terms of pure listening pleasure.

3 - 'Scalpel' award:

For: Car with the best pure accuracy and detail

Goes to: Marty (FHRX)

While not the smoothest, softest sound I've heard, Marty's car set the standards for me in terms out outright accuracy, detail, imaging and staging. While the stage height wasn't anything abnormal, the depth and width were great and the Focal Be's image with Rifle-like accuracy.

4 - 'Sex-on-Wheels' award:

For: The car that drew my eye the most for pure sexiness.

Goes to: Datamine's GT-P

There were a ton of sexy cars, including Poisoner's HQ (at least I think it's a HQ?), Antoni's SS, Marty's Silvia and Nathan's Valiant... but I always have a weaknes for BA GT's. Sue me :P

5 - 'Biggest BS artist' award:

This goes to me for trying to convince everyone I had mid-bass drivers in my car, and then opening my boot to show them the drivers... sitting in their original box :)

Runner up goes to Antony for the stickers and cloth... he knows what i'm talking about! :lol:

P.s. I'd comment on Antony's car, but I only heard it before the re-tune so can't really comment. Sounded great when I heard it though :)

Edited by muzzy66

Since this is reflections, I'd like to add my own litlte 'award', for biggest shock of the day.

The first car I listened to on the day was deftone2k's ride. After hearing it the first thing I could think was "if all of the ameteur cars are this good, thank god I didn't go in pro".

For a car with such a nice simple setup, it was definately my biggest "Where the hell did that come from" car of the day, and I was surprised to not see it take a top 3 finish. Just goes to show how tough the competition was.

But to the people responsible for that setup, full credit for getting so much great sound out of such a simple system.

Ahh thanks heaps bro, really good to hear some comments like that. Ill go through what i heard and what i think tomorrow!

Thanks heaps to Jonno and Rick for their help over the months, keeping me company when im bored at work. Talking bout prospective gear and set up plans, meeting up with me and helping me tune and showing me stuff. Awesome help, great members of the MEA/CAA community right there people!

Ill be making a long post up tomorrow, and ive got ~ 30 pics to upload and resave etc.

Was a great day, im buggered. It was what i had hyped it up to be, but i tell you what im glad its over because the whole build process was aiming for today.

Look forward to improving it, taking the feedback away and working on it. Have a bulk pack ready to go in and take off woosH!

Cheers dudes, awesome stuff

Big thanks to FHRX and everyone who helped out too, but as i said.

Big post up tomorrow!

Edited by Deftone2k

PICS!! :D

NOTE!: i have edited all visible number plates from the pics as per some peoples requests. if there is a photo anyone objects to, please PM me and i will remove it. also, ive tried to remember names and cars etc, though i do apologise if ive made a mistake etc. the text describes the image BELOW it.

enjoy...

The View!

post-9141-1175341598.jpg

'data_mines' GTP, and 'sk456'

post-9141-1175341668.jpg

post-9141-1175341776.jpg

post-9141-1175341847.jpg

post-9141-1175341895.jpg

'Antony's' VZ Ute

post-9141-1175341955.jpg

Left To Right: 'trism' - 'MRVJ-666' - 'Deftone2k' - 'Antony'

post-9141-1175342019.jpg

'POI.ZNR's' HZ Ute, 'MRVJ-666', 'Deftone2k'

post-9141-1175342053.jpg

'muzzy66' and 'POI.ZNR' listening to the HZ (Jono's car)

post-9141-1175342122.jpg

'Deftone2k' - 'Antony' - 'trism'

post-9141-1175342186.jpg

post-9141-1175342651.jpg

'POI.ZNR's' Engine Bay/Battery Setup

post-9141-1175342894.jpg

'mad89's' Engine Bay/Battery Setup

post-9141-1175343113.jpg

'mad89's' Nova

post-9141-1175343322.jpg

'data_mine's' GT-P

post-9141-1175343418.jpg

The Fhrx Silvia Engine Bay/Battery Setup

post-9141-1175343522.jpg

The Fhrx Silvia

post-9141-1175343675.jpg

'HypE_STi's' Lancer

post-9141-1175343861.jpg

'HypE_STi's' Engine Bay/Battery Setup

post-9141-1175343997.jpg

post-9141-1175344157.jpg

post-9141-1175344223.jpg

'Wh33lz' on the right

post-9141-1175344335.jpg

post-9141-1175344425.jpg

Infinity Car (i think?)

post-9141-1175344501.jpg

Jacks Sirion

post-9141-1175344659.jpg

Edwins Sti, 'mad89's' Nova, 'POI.ZNR's' HZ Ute

post-9141-1175344744.jpg

'Deftone2k's' VS, Team Loud And Clear Rodeo

post-9141-1175344846.jpg

'muzzy66's' Laser on left, 'trism's' "Project Ghetto Superstar" Laser on right

post-9141-1175344943.jpg

'muzzy66's' Laser on right, 'trism's' "Project Ghetto Superstar" Laser on left

post-9141-1175345069.jpg

'Antony's' Ute

post-9141-1175345142.jpg

The MR-VJ

post-9141-1175345237.jpg

The MR-VJ Again

post-9141-1175345475.jpg

post-9141-1175345557.jpg

post-9141-1175345677.jpg

post-9141-1175345752.jpg

Left To Right: 'Marty/Fhrx' - Mick - 'Deftone2k' - 'POI.ZNR' - 'data_mine' (in the back) - 'Antony' - 'trism' (in the back) - 'muzzy66' - 'MRVJ-666'

post-9141-1175345800.jpg

post-9141-1175346055.jpg

The Trophies

post-9141-1175346743.jpg

Posers 1: Left To Right: 'sk456' - 'muzzy66' - 'Antony' - 'MRVJ-666'

post-9141-1175346415.jpg

Posers 2 : Left To Right: 'trism' - 'Deftone2k' - 'POI.ZNR' - 'data_mine'

post-9141-1175346545.jpg

:good:

:)

Hey there guys, I have put up a 'resulst & photos" thread for people to have a look at. Feel free to add your own photos. Just rmemeber to take peoples number plates out etc...

what an awesome day!

Antonys car is sweeeeet as. loved it. was pleasantly suprised by the bostons, as ive heard they have a reputation for a fairly harsh tweeter. however it wasnt evident at all.

Goes to show what a good install can achieve ... can turn ice to water :)

Edited by muzzy66

Great day, glad I made the trip up (and back). Nice to meet a lot of you, and Marty.

Was a much bigger turnout than I was expecting (maybe a dozen). It was well organised, and everything went smoothly. Kudos to the FHRX team and helpers.

No ban for me.......

th_CAA-Pano.jpg

Oh Muzzy, it's a BF (not BA) they look better (a IMO more aggressive kit)

Edited by data_mine

Awesome day, glad I came out and had a look, nice to meet some old faces too!

Will have to make a trip to fhrx workshop sometime soon, Mike, aeron said he was going to head out sometime soon so i'll come then :D

Data mine, love your car mate, Awesome choice of colour, wish I could have got my ba xr6t in that colour option :good:

That's right, the BF have different alloy and body-ki don't they?...I should have bloody picked that!

Edited by muzzy66

For the first time attendee of a Car Audio Show,

It was more than i expected for an SQ Show.

Alot of great people, finally good to match names to faces, pitty i had to leave early but the Award Presentation was perfectly timed :good:

Organisation was great, cars were awesome....and i got some pretty good feedback towards my install, mainly that my Deck is indeed crape and that I need to properly seal my Boston Midranges :D

Also hopefully with the adjustment of the tweeters to shoot abit higher than the listen'ers knees will make a big difference

There were a ton of sexy cars, including Poisoner's HQ (at least I think it's a HQ?), Antoni's SS, Marty's Silvia and Nathan's Valiant... but I always have a weaknes for BA GT's. Sue me :P

:)

ITS A HZ!!!! HQ have crapper dashes and high beams are on the floor and windscreen wipers are on the dash. ummmm they dont have RTS suspension. but i forgive you :P im excited to hear what ur car can achieve with all drivers installed. when mad89 was down an amp pre season it sounded like ass. but u managed to tune it to somthing that was infact competitive. well done.

i think it definatly looks more agressive. exhaust sounds awesome too.
That's right, the BF have different alloy and body-ki don't they?...I should have bloody picked that!

GET ON THE BALL MATE!!!!! hahah. no really. tis ok.

Yeah, kit and alloys - as well as colour choices. But you really need to be a Ford nut to pick the differences. I am the only owner of a BF GT-P in that colour (Ego). Ford have made it a BF2 colour so I guess there'll be some copy cats. I've already seen two GT's in Ego now. I'll always be the first.

Again great day.

Nice convenient location for out of staters such as my self. Federal HWY out of Canberra, Hume HWY (aka M5) from south of Goulburn to The River Road, and you're there.

The Only Downside is that there isnt any proper photos of my boot install

Great day guys! nice turnout and perfect weather! what a nice spot for fishing! heard some nice cars in AM street that are sounding great, and can improve fast with some small tweaks, keep it up guys.. Only judged the Pro Street cars that day, so hats off to Mike, Pete and Paul(mazda) for the long day judging AM class in all those sunbaking cars.

The Only Downside is that there isnt any proper photos of my boot install

Yeah I think for the next round we might get shots of each car as they compete.:)

oh, can you re-explain what the encouragement award is again...i was zoned out until i heard my name lol

oh, can you re-explain what the encouragement award is again...i was zoned out until i heard my name lol

Well I've often heard people say you win an encouragement award when you are too hopeless to win anything else

Now I'm of the opinion that this is total and utter bollocks. To me, an encouragement award is given to a new person or an in-progress car that impresses the judges. They then in turn encourage you to progress with it, tinker with it and attend as many events as possible because it will have a big future.

We were suitably impressed with your car and hence we encourange you to keep going with the project. As Morris Iemma would say; There is more to do, but you're heading in the right direction.:)

In plain English; Hurry up and finish the damn Val because we cannot wait to see the finished product!!! :D

Edited by Fhrx

hahah!

Let me get my licence first, but fixing the midbass and changing HU is on the cards :D

the Hertz Tweeters and X-Overs really do sound great

Oki doki

Time for me to put up my pictures, now let me say i took most of these at the start of the day and realised that my battery was almost dead. So i brought it out at other times but didnt get too many snaps. No i dont have gaylove for jonno, he just parked next to me and i felt sorry for him using a phone for pictures.

Anywho enjoy, some others will be posted up in my Install thread.

Ive got most of the plates but like rick msg me if you want them taken out.

Cheers

POI.ZNR's left Door

CAASQR1034.jpg

POI.ZNR's Sub Box

CAASQR1033.jpg

POI.ZNR's Sub Box Again

CAASQR1032.jpg

POI.ZNR's right Door

CAASQR1031.jpg

SQYOOT Front Shot

CAASQR1030.jpg

The Mammoth CAA Turn Out :)